Volunteering at the National Civil Rights Museum can be rewarding and exciting. There are plenty of opportunities to fit every interest and schedule. Volunteer applications are renewed annually.
The museum offers a variety of events where volunteer assistance is crucial, including during opening receptions for new exhibits, the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. birthday celebration, April 4 commemorative events, the annual Freedom Award event and other special events. In addition, the museum appreciates volunteer support for office departmental office tasks, visitor services and exhibit and room control monitors.
In addition to being a vital part of the museum's sustainability, volunteers can earn experience for job applications and school requirements and receive a 10% discount in the museum shop.
For detailed information, review the volunteer FAQ below. Complete the volunteer application.
For specific questions, contact the museum's Volunteer Manager, Vanessa Clark, (901) 521-9699, ext. 2293 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is eligible to be a Museum Volunteer?
Volunteer positions are open to all individuals who meet the qualifications outlined on this page, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old by the start of the volunteer assignment. Volunteer applications are good for one year and are renewable.
What are the personal qualities of a Museum Volunteer?
- Ability to deal with difficult and intense subject matters, and the visitors who are affected by them
- Open-mindedness and patience when working with a diverse public and staff.
- Integrity to represent the institution and oneself with the highest standards.
- Dedication to the Museum’s mission and to the values of the Volunteer Program.
- Reliability to consistently keep one’s volunteer commitment to the Museum.
How do I become a volunteer?
- Complete a volunteer application and waiver
- Attend a new volunteer orientation session and museum walkthrough
- Commit to an initial volunteer assignment
What should I know about being a visitor services volunteer representative?
Volunteers must contribute a minimum of one four-hour shift during museum operational hours. They must successfully complete a basic orientation. On-the-job training is provided, but specialized events may require additional training. In addition, volunteers must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Helpful attributes include customer service/retail experience, foreign language fluency and computer skills (especially Microsoft Office).